The 2016 Gulf Coast Prize in Translation
Accepting Entries Until August 31st (8/31) at 11:59 CST
The 2016 Gulf Coast Prize in Translation (Poetry)
Deadline: August 31st, 2016
Gulf Coast is now accepting entries for the Gulf Coast Prize in Translation for an extra three weeks. In 2016, the contest is open to poetry in translation. The winner receives $1,000 and publication in the journal. Two honorable mentions will each receive $250. All entries will be considered for paid publication on our website as Online Exclusives.
Entry to the contest also includes a one-year subscription to Gulf Coast, beginning with the issue in which the corresponding prize winners are published.
This year’s contest will be judged by Idra Novey. She is the author of the novel Ways to Disappear, selected as a New York Times' Editors' Choice. Her most recent poetry collection, Exit Civilian, was chosen by Patricia Smith for the 2011 National Poetry Series. Her translations include Clarice Lispector's The Passion According to G.H. and Birds for a Demolition, the Selected Poems of Manoel de Barros.
Poetry: Send up to ten pages of poetry translated into English. Excerpts from longer works are welcome and preference will be given to contemporary work published within the last fifty years. As part of your submission, include the text in its original language, provide a brief synopsis (no more than 200 words) of the work and the author you are translating, and indicate whether you have, and can grant us, permission to publish the original work and the translation.
Demonstrations of Permission
We will not consider submissions without permissions. In your submission, please provide the following:
- A note (from the translator) in the Comments section of our Online Submission Manager stating that permissions are granted.
- In the event that the piece makes it to the final judging round: Written permission from the copyright holder granting you right to translate the work in your contest submission. Permission should name the work being translated, date consent was given, and identify the copyright holder.
Contest Guidelines for Online Submissions
- Submissions accepted via Gulf Coast’s online submissions manager.
- Submit up to ten pages of poetry along with the original text in a single .doc, .docx, .rtf, or .pdf file.
- Only previously unpublished translations will be considered.
- The contest will be judged blindly, so please do not include your cover letter, your name, or any contact information in the uploaded document. This information should only be typed in the “Comments” field.
Contest Guidelines for Postal Mail Submissions
- Only previously unpublished work will be considered.
- Please address postal mail entries to:
ATTN: Translation Prize
Department of English
University of Houston
Houston, TX 77204-3013
- The contest will be judged blindly, so your contact information should appear only on your cover letter.
- Please include your $18 reading fee, payable in U.S. dollars to “Gulf Coast.”
We can't wait to read your translations!